The Bureau of Immigration recently announced that immigrants or permanent residents whose alien certificate of registration identity card (ACR I-Card) expired may still enter the country if they hold a valid reentry permit.

Key Points:

  • Immigrants or permanent residents with expired ACR I-Cards may enter the country if they hold a valid reentry permit.
    • Foreign nationals can renew expired reentry permits or special return certificates at the airport before immigration clearance.
  • Foreign nationals who enter the country with an expired ACR I-Card should renew their cards at the Bureau of Immigration after arrival.
  • Non-immigrant visa holders must hold a valid ACR I-Card to enter the country.

Additional Information: ACR I-Cards are not to be used as the determining factor to admit foreign nationals into the country.

BAL Analysis: This directive will allow many immigrants and permanent residents who failed to renew their ACR I-Cards the option to enter the Philippines. Other entry restrictions remain unaffected by this announcement. The response to the COVID-19 pandemic continues to develop, and BAL will provide additional updates as information becomes available.

This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact

Copyright © 2021 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries, please contact