Visa launched for remote workers
2 Feb 22
IMPACT – MEDIUM
The Hungarian government has launched a remote worker visa for qualifying foreign nationals to live and work in the country.
- The “White Card” remote work visa allows foreign nationals to live and work in Hungary for up to one year and is extendable for an additional year. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have verifiable employment in a country other than Hungary.
- Perform their work using advanced digital technology or own a share in a company with a verified profit in a country other than Hungary and perform their work or manage the company from Hungary using an advanced digital technology solution.
- Live in Hungary for more than 90 days within any 180-day period per year.
- Not pursue any gainful activity in Hungary or hold a share in a Hungarian company.
- Have proof of a clean criminal record.
- Applicants are required to appear in person to immigration authorities when submitting an application; more information on how to submit an application is available here.
- White Card visa holders cannot perform local work for the duration of their visa.
BAL Analysis: The program intends to bring more foreign national “digital nomads” to the country to stimulate the economy, create jobs and help the country recover financially from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2022 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries, please contact email@example.com.