What is the change? The Qingdao Labor Bureau now requires that educational degrees be legalized in the applicant’s home country.

What does the change mean? The change will lengthen processing times for initial employment licenses and work permit transfers.

  • Implementation timeframe: Immediate.
  • Visas/permits affected: New employment licenses and work permit transfers from one city to another.
  • Who is affected: Those applying in the above categories at the Qingdao Labor Bureau.
  • Impact on processing times: The time needed for the legalization process varies depending on the specific embassy or consulate involved, but typically takes less than two weeks.

Background: Under the new requirement, foreign employees must legalize their original educational degrees at a Chinese embassy or consulate in their home country. In another change for foreigners in Qingdao, the Public Security Bureau will allow those applying for residence permits to travel domestically while their application is pending. The bureau will still retain the applicant’s passport, but will now issue a receipt with a photo that can be used as identification for travel within China only. The individual will have to show the receipt to get their passport back when the residence permit is ready.

BAL Analysis: Employers and assignees should plan extra time to complete the legalization process.

This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in China. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.

Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact