What is the change? Travelers are reminded that children under 18 years old who are residents of Argentina and planning to travel abroad must hold a travel permit that is also signed by both parents before a notary public. The travel permit is required if minors are traveling alone or with only one parent.

What does the change mean? Immigration authorities at the borders will ask for the travel permit as well as the minor’s passport, Argentinian residence ID and birth certificates translated into Spanish.

  • Implementation time frame: Ongoing.
  • Who is affected: Minors under age 18 who are residents of Argentina.
  • Business impact: Employees with minor children planning to travel abroad should be reminded of the policy and the need to apply for a travel permit ahead of travel.
  • Next steps: The travel permit form must be completed and issued by a notary public. The notary will require parents to provide original passports as well as marriage and birth certificates.

Background: The travel permit is not a new requirement, but under a recent policy, immigration authorities may access data from the Public Notary Associations to verify the document.

BAL Analysis: To avoid travel delays or disruption, expatriate families with minor children should plan to obtain a travel permit from a notary public before they intend to travel abroad. They should also be reminded to retain their children’s birth certificates that were translated into Spanish during the residence visa application process and carry them when traveling overseas.

This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Argentina. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.

Copyright © 2018 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact