The Chinese government has waived its requirement that certain foreign nationals obtain a general invitation (PU) letter to enter China.

Key Points: 

  • As of June 6, foreign nationals can apply for work (Z) visas at Chinese consular posts without a PU letter if they:
    • Hold a valid work permit notification letter and are traveling for work in China.
    • Will work in China and have a spouse or child under the age of 18.
    • Have a spouse who is working in China and a child under the age of 18.
  • Foreign nationals traveling for business purposes still must obtain a PU letter to enter China.

Additional Information: As of June 8, the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Science and Technology will resume in-person services, such answering inquiries and accepting hard-copy applications.

BAL Analysis: Eligible foreign nationals will now be able to apply and obtain Z visas without having a PU letter. Those intending to apply for Z visas should work closely with their immigration provider to ensure they meet the work-visa application requirements.

This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact

Copyright © 2022 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact