Canadian officials announced a new policy that will allow Hong Kong permanent residence pathway applicants to extend their status and apply for new work permits while their permanent residence applications are pending.

‌Key Points:

  • Beginning May 27, open work permits will be available to individuals who applied for permanent residence under stream A (in-Canada graduates) or Stream B (Canadian work experience).
    • Individuals must be Hong Kong nationals residing in Canada who have held a work or study permit in the three years before their application for permanent residence was received.
  • The new policy will be effective for five years.

Additional Information: A foreign national must submit their application in a timely manner to extend their work or study permit in Canada before their current permit expires to maintain legal status until a decision is taken on their extension application. Individuals can apply under the policy and restore their status if their temporary status has expired in the 90 days before applying for a new open work permit. If their temporary status expired more than 90 days before applying for a new open work permit, their application will not be approved.

BAL Analysis: The Canadian government stated that the new policy is designed to ensure the immigration program remains responsive to the needs of Hong Kong nationals and assists applicants who are at risk of seeing their temporary status in Canada expire before their permanent residence applications are finalized.

This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice Group.

Copyright © 2024 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries, please contact