What is the change? Authorities in Ho Chi Minh City have said that parents and adult children will only be able to obtain a six-month extension of their dependent visas before they will be required to leave Vietnam.

What does the change mean? Affected foreign nationals who are seeking an extension beyond the initial six-month extension will be required to leave Vietnam and obtain a new visa at a Vietnamese embassy or consulate in another country.

  • Implementation time frame: Immediate and ongoing.  
  • Visas/permits affected: Temporary residence cards.
  • Who is affected: Dependent parents or adult children seeking to extend their temporary residence in Vietnam.
  • Impact on processing times: The change will add to the time it takes for affected foreign nationals to obtain a visa to remain in Vietnam after an initial six-month extension.

Background: Officials recently adopted the change without formal notice. For the time being, the new rule only applies in in Ho Chi Minh City.

BAL Analysis: Visa eligibility requirements have not changed, but the new procedures will require some adult dependents to leave Vietnam in order to extend their temporary residence beyond an initial six-month extension. The change will not affect spouses or minor children.

This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Vietnam. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.

Copyright © 2018 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact