The Canadian government has implemented new measures for foreign nationals with expired or expiring post-graduation work permits and applicants for temporary resident to permanent resident (TR to PR) pathways.

Key Points:

  • Foreign nationals whose post-graduation work permit expired or will expire between Sept. 20, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2022, can work in Canada for an additional 18 months by extending their work permit or applying for a new one.
  • Beginning Aug. 8, individuals with post-graduation work permits that have expired or will expire between Sept. 20, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2022, will receive an email from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) indicating that they are allowed to work while their permit is being extended or a new one is being issued.
  • TR to PR applicants whose permanent residence application has not yet been finalized can to apply for an open work permit with validity until Dec. 31, 2024.

Additional Information: Most foreign nationals with expired or expired post-graduation work permits and TR to PR applicants will need to apply online to extend their work permit. However, in some instances, other actions will need to be taken to receive the extended work permit. More information regarding how the new work measures will affect individual applicants is available here.

BAL Analysis: The Canadian government announced the new work measures with intent to address labor shortages and help temporary residents and post-graduate work permit holders retain their right to work in Canada.

This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice Group. For additional information, please contact

Copyright © 2022 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries, please contact