Assessing travel and visa obligations in Israel

When traveling to Israel, your nationality and the types of activities you will conduct during your trip will determine whether you may travel lawfully as a business visitor or if you must obtain work authorization. Please seek advice from your immigration counsel if you are uncertain about the specific types of activities that constitute business or work.

Traveling for business

What types of activities may I engage in as a business visitor?

As a business visitor to Israel, you may engage in the activities below. While this list is not exhaustive and other activities could qualify as business, you may:

  • Attend business meetings
  • Buy goods for sale outside the country
  • Tour a company facility
  • Attend a trade show or seminar convention


If I qualify as a business visitor, do I need a visa for Israel?

Nationals of Australia, Canada, the United States and other select countries are eligible for a visa waiver and are not required to obtain a visa in order to enter and conduct business activities in Israel.

Foreign nationals who are not eligible to enter Israel on visa-waivered status must obtain a B-2 Visitor Visa from an Israeli Consulate or Embassy prior to travel. Please obtain an individual assessment before traveling to determine your eligibility for a visa waiver.

Working in Israel

What types of activities require work authorization?

The activities below, whether paid or unpaid, generally constitute work under Israeli law. This list is not exhaustive, and many other professional activities are considered work in Israel, even if conducted for a short duration.

  • Performing audits
  • Consulting
  • Hands-on technical work
  • Repairs and maintenance


If I am traveling to Israel for work, what type of work authorization do I need?

The requirements for work authorization depend on your qualifications, on the nature and duration of your work and on the industry in which the entity in Israel operates. The most common types of work authorization for Israel are:

  • B-1 Short Employment Authorization (SEA) Visa (short-term work authorization for urgent technical repairs of up to 45 days; only available to foreign nationals who are not required to obtain a visa for entry (non-visa nationals))
  • B-1 Short-Term Employment Process (STEP) Visa (short-term work authorization for up to 90 days)
  • B-1 High-Tech (HIT) Short-Term Visa (short term work authorization for high-tech companies for up to 90 days; only available to foreign nationals who are not required to obtain a visa for entry (non-visa nationals)
  • B-1 High-Tech (HIT) Long-Term Visa (long-term work authorization for high-tech companies)
  • B-1 Academic Expert Work Permit and Visa (long-term work authorization for high-skilled professions requiring academic qualifications)
  • B-1 Non-Academic Work Permit and Visa (long-term work authorization for positions not requiring academic qualifications)


Is it possible to be exempted from work authorization requirements?

Israel does not offer work authorization exemptions.

What else should I know?

Inevitably, the legal and strategic considerations impacting visa selection, as well as visa waiver and work authorization eligibility, entail the careful consideration of many factors. We recommend that you consult with your immigration counsel before taking any course of action.


Copyright ©2024 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. Government immigration agencies often change their policies and practices without notice; please consult an immigration professional for up-to-date information. This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. BAL maintains comprehensive immigration information and processing specifics for our clients.