Assessing travel and visa obligations in Chile

When traveling to Chile, your nationality and the types of activities you will conduct during your trip will determine whether you may travel lawfully as a business visitor or if you require work authorization. Please seek advice from your immigration counsel if you are uncertain about the specific types of activities that constitute business or work.

Traveling for Business

What types of activities may I engage in as a business visitor?

As a business visitor to Chile, you may engage in the activities below. While this list is not exhaustive and other activities could qualify as business, you may:

  • Attend business meetings
  • Attend trade shows or seminar conventions


If I qualify as a business visitor, do I need a visa for Chile?

Nationals of the European Union, the United States, Mercosur countries (except Venezuela), and other select countries are eligible for a visa waiver and are not required to obtain a visa in order to enter and conduct business activities in Chile.

Chile is a member of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), and foreign nationals in possession of valid APEC Business Travel Cards (ABTC) endorsed with “Valid for travel to CHL” are eligible to enter Chile on visa-waivered status.

If your nationality is not eligible for a visa waiver, you must obtain a Tourist Visa from a Chilean Embassy or Consulate prior to travel. Please obtain an individual assessment before traveling to determine your eligibility for a visa waiver.

Working in Chile

What types of activities require work authorization?

The activities below, whether paid or unpaid, generally constitute work under Chilean law. This list is not exhaustive, and many other professional activities are considered work in Chile, even if conducted for a short duration.

  • Hands-on technical work
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Auditing


If I am traveling to Chile for work, what type of work authorization do I need?

The requirements for work authorization depend on your qualifications, on the nature and duration of your work and on whether your employer has an entity in Chile. The most common types of work authorization for Chile are:

  • Work Authorizations under Transitory Permanence (short-term work authorization)
  • Work Contract Visa (long-term work authorization for direct hires)
  • Temporary Residence Visa – Tech Visa (long-term work authorization for foreign professionals and technicians in the science and IT fields)
  • Temporary Residence Visa – Mercosur (long-term work authorization for nationals of Mercosur countries)
  • Temporary Residence Visa – Foreigners Remunerated Abroad (long-term work authorization for assignees)
  • Temporary Residence Visa – Professionals and Technicians (long-term work authorization for professionals and technicians with a university degree)


Is it possible to be exempted from work authorization requirements?

Chile does not offer work authorization exemptions.

What else should I know?

Inevitably, the legal and strategic considerations impacting visa selection, as well as visa waiver and work authorization eligibility, entail the careful consideration of many factors. We recommend that you consult with your immigration counsel before taking any course of action.


Copyright ©2024 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. Government immigration agencies often change their policies and practices without notice; please consult an immigration professional for up-to-date information. This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. BAL maintains comprehensive immigration information and processing specifics for our clients.