Assessing travel and visa obligations in Brazil

When traveling to Brazil, your nationality and the types of activities you will conduct during your trip will determine whether you may travel lawfully as a business visitor or if you require work authorization. Please seek advice from your immigration counsel if you are uncertain about the specific types of activities that constitute business or work.

Traveling for business

What types of activities may I engage in as a business visitor?

As a business visitor to Brazil, you may engage in the activities below. While this list is not exhaustive and other activities could qualify as business, you may:

  • Attend business meetings
  • Attend fairs, seminars, and conferences
  • Conduct consultancy and auditing activities
  • Sign contracts
  • Visit a current project site for informational purposes


If I qualify as a business visitor, do I need a visa for Brazil?

Nationals of the United States, Canada, Japan and other select countries are eligible for a visa waiver and are not required to obtain a visa in order to enter and conduct business activities in Brazil.

If your nationality is not eligible for a visa waiver, you will be required to obtain a Visitor Visa (VVIS) from a Brazilian Embassy or Consulate prior to travel. Please consult with your immigration counsel before traveling to determine your eligibility for a visa waiver or Visitor Visa.

Working in Brazil

What types of activities require work authorization?

The activities below, whether paid or unpaid, generally constitute work under Brazilian law. This list is not exhaustive, and many other professional activities are considered work in Brazil, even if conducted for a short duration.

  • System installation
  • Technical services
  • Repairs


If I am traveling to Brazil for work, what type of work authorization do I need?

The requirements for work authorization depend on your qualifications, on the nature and duration of your work and on whether your employer has an entity in Brazil. The most common types of work authorization for Brazil are:

  • Technical Work Visa (NR 03) – (work authorization for performing technical services as part of a service agreement or after-sales agreement)
  • Visa for Receiving Technical Training (NR 35) – (work authorization to participate in short-term training for operating and maintaining machines or technical equipment)
  • Local Contract Visa (NR 02) – (work authorization for local hires)
  • Technology Transfer Visa (NR 04) – (work authorization for the transfer of technical knowledge to a local Brazilian employee)
  • Professional Training Visa (NR 19) – (work authorization for participating in training conducted by a Brazilian subsidiary of the same company group as the employer abroad)
  • Digital Nomad Visa


Is it possible to be exempted from work authorization requirements?

Nationals of countries that are part of the Mercosur agreement and their dependents, as well as nationals of French Guiana, Guyana, Suriname and Venezuela, may work and reside in Brazil with a Temporary Residence Benefit without obtaining additional work authorization. However, registrations or other formalities may be required prior to working or residing in Brazil.

What else should I know?

Inevitably, the legal and strategic considerations impacting visa selection, as well as visa waiver and work authorization eligibility, entail the careful consideration of many factors. We recommend that you consult with your immigration counsel before taking any course of action.


Copyright © 2024 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. Government immigration agencies often change their policies and practices without notice; please consult an immigration professional for up-to-date information. This document does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. BAL maintains comprehensive immigration information and processing specifics for our clients.