Visa waiver extended to certain Indian nationals
2 Jul 18
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Oman has introduced a visa waiver for Indian nationals who hold a visa (including a visitor visa) or residence permit for the United States, the United Kingdom, a Schengen member country, Australia, Canada or Japan.
What does the change mean? Eligible Indian nationals will be able to obtain either a visa on arrival or an online visa before their arrival.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Visas on arrival, electronic visas.
- Who is affected: Indian nationals holding an entry visa or residence permit for any of the five designated countries or a Schengen country.
- Impact on processing times: Eligible travelers will not need to apply for a visa at a consulate before travel.
- Business impact: Applicants will be asked about the purpose of their visit; if the purpose is to attend a business meeting, they must specify that they will not be working in Oman.
BAL Analysis: Oman’s move to ease visas for certain Indian nationals follows a similar decision by the United Arab Emirates to grant visas on arrival to Indian nationals who hold a visa or residency in the United Kingdom or another European Union country. Business travelers planning to take advantage of Oman’s new policy are reminded that work activities are prohibited and that when they verify the purpose of their travel they should state that they will not be working in the country.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2018 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.