Funding requirements to sponsor dependents published
17 Aug 21
The Swedish Migration Authority published new funding requirements for foreign nationals planning to sponsor dependents.
- To sponsor dependents applying for residence permits, foreign nationals must satisfy the maintenance requirement by:
- Showing proof of income to support yourself, others living in the household and all family members applying a permit.
- Having a home of appropriate size and standard to live in.
- The 2021 standard monthly income requirements are as follows:
- SEK 5,016 for single adults.
- SEK 8,287 for spouses or partners living together.
- SEK 2,662 for children who are under six or under.
- SEK 3,064 for children who are seven and or older.
- The new funding requirements will not apply to existing permit holders. More information on what documents must be included to show proof of income and housing standards can be found here.
Additional Information: Individuals’ after-tax income must be able to cover housing cost and the amount required to support members of a household. Work related-income includes wages from work, unemployment benefits, sick benefits and income-based old-age pensions.
BAL Analysis: Employers should note the income changes and ensure that employees who are sponsoring dependents meet the proper income and housing standards. BAL will continue to monitor these changes and will provide additional information as it becomes available.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group. For additional information, please contact email@example.com.
Copyright © 2021 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.