Work permit issuance suspended for certain countries owing to COVID-19 outbreak
10 Mar 20
IMPACT – HIGH
What is the change? Authorities have stated they have temporarily suspended work permit issuance to residents of China, Germany, Iran, Italy, South Korea and Spain.
What does the change mean? Nationals of these countries and regions will be denied work authorization until further notice.
- Implementation time frame: March 1.
- Visas/permits affected: Work permits.
- Who is affected: Foreign nationals from China, Germany, Iran, Italy, South Korea, Spain, and their employers.
- Business impact: Employers of foreign nationals traveling from the above countries and regions may experience significant delays affecting employee mobility.
Additional information: Kazakhstan has mandated the following preventative measures for foreign nationals arriving from affected areas:
- China, Iran and South Korea: 14 days of quarantine and 10 days of monitoring after quarantine discharge.
- Italy: Self-isolation for 14 days with daily monitoring through medical worker calls.
- Germany and Spain: Daily monitoring through medical worker calls.
Analysis & Comments: The temporary work permit issuance ban and quarantine measures are part of Kazakhstan’s increased efforts to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employers must be prepared to be flexible with employee schedules and start dates for employees who are affected by the work permit ban. The response to the COVID-19 outbreak continues to develop, and Deloitte will provide additional updates as information becomes available.
Source: Deloitte. Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (“DTTL”), its global network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL (also referred to as “Deloitte Global”) and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL does not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more. Deloitte Legal means the legal practices of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited member firms or their affiliates that provide legal services. For legal, regulatory and other reasons, not all member firms provide legal services. This communication contains general information only, and none of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, its member firms or their related entities (collectively, the “Deloitte network”) is, by means of this communication, rendering professional advice or services. Before making any decision or taking any action that may affect your finances or your business, you should consult a qualified professional adviser. No entity in the Deloitte network shall be responsible for any loss whatsoever sustained by any person who relies on this communication. © 2020. For information, contact Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited.