Visa and permit application requirements eased for Venezuelan nationals
26 Jun 19
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? The Costa Rican Immigration Directorate has eased visa and residence permit application rules for Venezuelan nationals.
- Effective date: June 27.
- Visas/permits affected: Visas and residence permits.
- Who is affected: Venezuelan nationals applying for visas and residence permits.
- Venezuelan nationals in the country legally will be able to file visa and residence permit applications with an expired passport.
- Venezuelan nationals will be able to use apostilled birth certificates issued at any time, instead of needing to follow the requirement that they be issued within six months of the visa or residence application.
- Venezuelan nationals will be able to use apostilled police clearance certificates up to one year after their issuance, instead of the previous six-month maximum.
- Venezuelan nationals will not need to apostille digital police clearance certificates but rather will be able to certify them through a Venezuelan consular post in Costa Rica.
- Venezuelan nationals will be exempt from the post-arrival consular registration requirement.
Background: The new regulations were published in the official gazette on June 12 and will take effect June 27.
Analysis & Comments: The eased application rules provide relief to Venezuelans seeking to apply for visas and residence permits.
Source: Deloitte LLP. Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Entry stamp removed for Costa Rican nationals, residents
COSTA RICA 18 Jan 23
Residency card photo appointments canceled until 2023
COSTA RICA 7 Oct 22
Duration of stay reduced for some visa-exempt travelers
COSTA RICA 15 Aug 22
‘Digital Nomad’ visa to be made available
COSTA RICA 7 Jul 22
COVID-19: Validity of Immigration Identity Documents extended
COSTA RICA 3 Feb 22
‘Digital Nomad’ visa introduced
COSTA RICA 12 Aug 21
Temporary residence pathway incentivized for investors
COSTA RICA 13 Jul 21
Immigration requests can now be submitted online on...
COSTA RICA 27 Oct 20
COVID-19: Tourists from all U.S. states allowed entry...
COSTA RICA 22 Oct 20
COVID-19: Immigration offices to remain closed, some documents...
COSTA RICA 30 Sep 20
COVID-19: Commercial flights from some U.S. states announced
COSTA RICA 8 Sep 20
COVID-19: Tourists from select countries now allowed entry
COSTA RICA 13 Aug 20
COVID-19: Border closure extended
COSTA RICA 15 Jul 20
COVID-19: Entry restrictions extended
COSTA RICA 1 Jun 20
COVID-19: Travel restrictions extended, immigration offices closed
COSTA RICA 23 Apr 20
COVID-19: New foreign travel restrictions issued
COSTA RICA 1 Apr 20
Inbound travel halted, immigration offices limit services
COSTA RICA 20 Mar 20
New exemptions allow some foreign nationals to start...
COSTA RICA 29 Oct 19
Increased security deposit fees announced
COSTA RICA 3 Oct 19
Companies experiencing processing delays, higher scrutiny of work...
COSTA RICA 17 May 19
Same-sex marriage to be recognized for immigration purposes
COSTA RICA 11 Jan 19
Immigration offices to close for holidays
COSTA RICA 6 Dec 18
New visa rules benefit Colombians, Nicaraguans, U.S. visa...
COSTA RICA 21 Nov 18
Immigration Department to resume services following closure, strike
COSTA RICA 10 Sep 18
Immigration Department closed until further notice
COSTA RICA 4 Sep 18
Reminder: Additional steps required to finalize residency
COSTA RICA 7 Aug 18
Fines to be imposed for visa overstays
COSTA RICA 23 Mar 18
Immigration offices to close for 3 weeks
COSTA RICA 7 Dec 17
New procedures set for dependent social security cards
COSTA RICA 15 Sep 17
Costa Rica moves to streamline process for obtaining...
COSTA RICA 10 Jul 17
New visa rules to take effect Dec. 14
COSTA RICA 9 Dec 16
Work permit approvals experiencing delays
COSTA RICA 11 Nov 16
Costa Rica to require appointment for immigration filings
COSTA RICA 4 May 15
Costa Rica simplifies temporary residence process
COSTA RICA 24 Nov 14
FBI Clearance Now Required for Americans Staying Longer...
COSTA RICA 16 Oct 13