Business licenses now required as part of business visa applications
28 Apr 15
IMPACT – LOW
What is the change? Brunei’s Department of Immigration and National Registration is requiring applicants for Business Visit Visas to submit copies of their business license during the application process.
What does the change mean? Foreign nationals applying for BVVs should be prepared to show a copy of their business license prior to entering Brunei.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Business Visit Visas.
- Who is affected: Foreign nationals applying for BVVs.
- Impact on processing times: Processing times may be significantly delayed if applicants are not prepared to provide a copy of their business license when submitting a BVV application.
- Business impact: The change adds a new documentation requirement for people traveling to Brunei for ordinary business activities.
Background: Effective immediately, Brunei is requiring BVV applicants to provide a copy of a business license.
BVVs are required for foreign nationals whose purpose in traveling to Brunei is to conduct ordinary business activities. BVVs are normally valid for 90 days, but BVVs that are valid for 14, 30 or 90 days may be obtained on arrival by nationals of certain countries. Whether applying for a BVV before travel or upon arrival, however, foreign nationals must produce a copy of their business license as part of their application.
The new business license requirement applies only to BVVs and not to Professional Visit Visas (PVVs).
BAL Analysis: Business travelers should take note of the change to avoid delays or difficulty in getting a BVV.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Brunei. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.